Rising Kidney Disorders to be the Key Cause of Novel Nephrology Drug Developments
Growing kidney problems across the world has greatly triggered the need for effective and powerful nephrology drugs. Advances in the prevailing nephrology drugs products and novel product launches by nephrology drug makers in the recent years have propelled the nephrology drugs market growth in the recent years.
Kidney problems are on the rise across the globe, with millions of people every year undertaking treatments for kidney damage or chronic kidney disease (CKD). This has greatly triggered the need for effective and powerful nephrology drugs. In reality, kidney disorders rank as one of the foremost causes of demise worldwide. Many of the major leaps and bounds attained in nephrology, in the past few decades, should be attributed to the expansion of novel and improved drugs.
What is CKD and What are its Consequences?
CKD arises when the kidneys of a person get damage and cannot filter blood normally. Owing to this unreliable filtering, kidney patients can suffer from problems related to fluids, electrolytes (minerals vital for numerous bodily processes), and waste accumulation in the body. Sometimes, severe CKD can evolve into a kidney failure, thus causing death of the patient.
In the U.S., nearly 15% of adults are alleged to fall victims of CKD. Although 90% of them do not recognize it or do not go to a nephrologist till the ailment has turned out into a serious and expensive problem to resolve.
In addition, acquiring malfunctions related to kidneys is even more likely than having a liver malfunction, mainly owing to the chronic health disorders that arise all together. Kidney disorder can mature from prevailing health problems such as obesity, diabetes, heart disorders, and high blood pressure. Also, kidney diseases can trigger high blood pressure and heart disorder later, even if a patient did not have these illnesses beforehand.
CKD is very serious and needs prompt attention, as negligence to it can also result in health problems such as osteoporosis, anemia, a deteriorated immune system or an irregular heartbeat. This cause-and-effect relationship explains how vital it is to have healthy kidneys, and to be pre-emptive in seeing a veteran nephrologist who can give proper nephrology drugs and heal your kidney issues.
Advances in the prevailing nephrology drugs products and novel product launches by nephrology drug makers, in the recent years, have propelled the global nephrology drugs market growth. Foremost players in the nephrology drugs market have begun concentrating on the development of innovative products to cater the rising demand for advanced treatment options for CKD. Let’s take a look at some of the recent developments in the nephrology drugs sector.
- In July 2021, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration offered approval for finerenone (Kerendia), a nonsteroidal mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist for the treatment of CKD patients associated with type 2 diabetes (T2D). This drug is the only one available in the current market that can lessen the threat of sustained estimated glomerular filtration rate deterioration, end-stage kidney disorder, nonfatal myocardial infarction, cardiac death, and hospitalization due to heart issues in adult patients suffering with CKD associated with T2D.
- In January 2021, Aurinia, a completely integrated biopharmaceutical firm, obtained its first U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval for Lupkynis (voclosporin) for treating lupus nephritis, or kidney inflammation caused due to systemic lupus erythematosus.
- In March 2019, Piramal Enterprises, a leading Global Business Conglomerate and one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in India, declared that Slate Run Pharmaceuticals, one of its partners for worldwide business, introduced generic versions of Cinacalcet hydrochloride tablets in the U.S. in 3 dosage strengths. The drug is used in the treatment of CKD.
- In March 2022, Lupin Limited (Lupin), one of the largest generic pharmaceutical companies by revenue globally, proclaimed the introduction of Sevelamer Hydrochloride Tablets, 800 mg which has obtained approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- In February 2021, Glenmark Pharma, a company having a noteworthy presence in the branded generics markets, introduced a generic drug, called 'Sunitinib oral capsules' for kidney cancer treatment in India priced 96% lower as compared to the innovator brand.
The Bottom Line
The nephrology drug sector is rapidly advancing with the launch of novel drugs and efficiently helping CKD patients in recovering, despite the COVID-19 pandemic crisis. In the future, many more advancements are expected to occur in the nephrology drug sector and fulfil the rising need for effective CKD treatment.
How are the Latest Developments in Voice Communication Equipment Opening Numerous Applications Across Various Sectors?November 28, 2023
Why is Vegan Chocolate Becoming a Delectable Trend among Individuals Globally?November 28, 2023
Surgical Loupes: Empowering Healthcare Professionals with Greater Precisions and Enriching Patient LivesNovember 28, 2023
How are the Advancements in Slip Ring Assemblies Meeting the High-Voltage Needs of Satellites?November 28, 2023