5 Reasons Why DIY Improvement Retailing Sector is So Popular
DIY model has been trending since the past decade. This model has now been accepted by the people with respect to the home improvement retailing sector also. Right from repairing the kitchen sinks to remodeling the whole kitchen, people have found a way to do all the refurnishing of their homes, by themselves. DIY home improvement retailing sector is gaining popularity day-by-day and people are coming up with various new ways to remodel and decorate their homes to make them aesthetically pleasing.
Historians, till date, have been recording history using two labels: Anno Domini (AD) and Before Christ (BC). It helps to maintain a timeline and helps to compare the two eras. However, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the future generations, 150-200 years from now, learn about the present circumstances using two new labels: Pre-Covid and Post-Covid. So much has changed in the last 2 years that life before 2019 seems like living in a different world altogether. Our way of living, standard of living, our social, economic habits, everything’s changed. New industries and retail markets have come up. One such new retail market is the DIY home improvement retail market. This new phenomenon has grappled the world and is here to stay.
Home improvement is basically refurnishing and refurbishing your home with a new set of home appliances, new furniture and tools, new patterns of lighting, and related decoration. It may also include changing your terrace or garden setup and changing the security system of your home. Also, it may include the repairing and maintenance work or repainting the walls of your home. In short, it involves giving a completely new look to your house. DIY home improvement retail is just that you make all the stuff yourself after buying the necessary raw material from the stores like Walmart. For example, buying a can of oil paint, to paint your garden walls by yourself, is part of the DIY home improvement retailing.
The Asia-Pacific DIY home improvement retailing market is growing with such a pace that it is being classified on the basis of categories of price and usage of home improvement goods and products. This includes:
- Basic necessities like ceiling fans, light tubes and bulbs, etc.
- Simple hardware tools which will basically aid in your home improvement work i.e., screwdrivers, simple hardware parts like nuts and bolts, hammer and nails, etc.
- Simple hardware accessories like power drills, sinks, garden pots, teapoys, etc.
- Mid-range hardware accessories like tables, kitchen utensils, shelves, etc.
- High-range hardware accessories like bathtubs, electronic appliances etc.
Thus, there is a whole industry which has sprung up to augment and consolidate this idea of DIY home improvement.
Top 3 Trends in the DIY Home Improvement Retail Sector
- Kitchen remodeling to make them more modern, is one of the biggest trends seen, as far as DIY home improvement retailing is concerned. Also, people are focusing to transform their kitchens in such a way, that it supports multitasking.
- Guest bedrooms are being remodeled so as to give these rooms a look of a farmhouse or a resort bedroom. This is done to give the room a refreshing look from where people can attend their office meetings or do their office work. A refreshing look to the room can certainly help people spend their whole day in the room.
- People are investing more in their gardens and terraces. New plants and flora are being planted in the backyard to give it a fresh look. Special emphasis is being laid on lighting up the gardens and terraces.
Reasons Behind the Rising Popularity of DIY Home Improvement Retailing
The reasons for the rise in popularity of DIY home improvement retailing are quite varied. Let’s take a look at them.
- The first and foremost reason is the Covid-19 pandemic, which has had two-fold effect on our lives. The pandemic and the subsequent lockdown have given people ample amount of time and money, which they don’t know how to spend. This has led people to invest the available time and money on themselves, and on bettering their own lives so as to do something productive. Also, since the pandemic and the lockdown had cut our access to outside help and services, it changed the way we live our lives. People have become more independent and are doing their things by themselves without any outside help. Right from washing the utensils after lunch and dinner to sweeping the floors and watering the plants, people are doing all the household chores by themselves. Thus, the pandemic and the resulting lockdown has made DIY model of living, both- a necessity and a hobby.
- Another interesting insight for the rise in popularity of DIY home improvement retailing is that the millennial kids born after 2000s are coming out of their teen ages, moving out of their homes and relocating to new spaces for the first time. Many say this phenomenon of DIY is a millennial kids’ thing and because millennial kids are moving out for the first time, there is a rise in the popularity of DIY home improvement retailing.
- Another reason associated with the rise in popularity of DIY home improvement retailing is that the costs associated with it are extremely low, as compared to the expenses that are incurred, if you hire an interior décor company to do the job. Instead, people are opting the method of DIY and trying to save their money so as to invest it elsewhere.
- Some people have stated that the main reason behind this craze of DIY home improvement retailing is because in spite of hiring good décor companies to change the look of their homes, they aren’t satisfied with the results. People complain that the changed outlook of their refurbished and refurnished homes look very different from what the home décor company or the interior designer promised. Many-a-times, there have been clashes between the interior designer and the home owners as to what would look good on their homes better. To avoid all these issues and complications, people are opting for the DIY home improvement retailing method.
- The increasing number of YouTube videos and other such social mediums have paved the way for doing almost all things yourself. Be it cooking recipes or fixing a car, there are multiple blogs, articles or videos which tell people how to do the job they looking to complete. There are multiple such DIY home improvement stories on the internet which have made things easier for people, who are looking to take the risk of opting the DIY home improvement model.
The Bottom Line
The DIY model could’ve been a nascent idea till the last decade; but due to various reasons it is rapidly getting popular day-by-day. Also, the amount of information through blogs and videos is so huge and interesting, that the DIY home improvement retailing model could be a game changer for the DIY model and the retail industry.
How are the Latest Developments in Voice Communication Equipment Opening Numerous Applications Across Various Sectors?November 28, 2023
Why is Vegan Chocolate Becoming a Delectable Trend among Individuals Globally?November 28, 2023
Surgical Loupes: Empowering Healthcare Professionals with Greater Precisions and Enriching Patient LivesNovember 28, 2023
How are the Advancements in Slip Ring Assemblies Meeting the High-Voltage Needs of Satellites?November 28, 2023