Synthetic Camphor: A Chemical Compound Imparting Numerous Industrial and Personal Benefits
Synthetic camphor is a white crystalline powder that is produced from alpha-pinene, which contains oils from coniferous trees. It is can be produced with the distillation of turpentine to yield pinene. Synthetic camphor is extensively used in many different industrial applications. Moreover, it is much beneficial for personal applications due to its antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Camphor, scientifically known as Cinnamomum camphora is a terpene that is habitually used in creams, ointments, and lotions. There are two types of camphor in the market, one is natural camphor and the other one is synthetic camphor. Natural camphor is obtained by distilling the bark and wood of the camphor tree. However, synthetic camphor is prepared by using alpha-pinene as raw material and is produced with multiple chemical processes namely esterification, saponification, and oxidation. Synthetic camphor is insoluble in water but soluble in chloroform, alcohol, ether, benzene, and carbon disulfide. It is flammable and volatile, and its chemical properties are similar to those of natural camphor. It has a strong, penetrating odor, and tastes bitter.
With the growing applications of synthetic camphor in the industrial sector, the global synthetic camphor market is predicted to experience remarkable growth in the estimated timeframe. The market is anticipated to generate a revenue of $700.9 million and grow at a CAGR of 6.0 % throughout the analysis timeframe from 2022 to 2031. The major players of the market include Oriental Aromatics Limited, Kanchi Karpooram Limited, Aldon Corporation, Mangalam Organics Limited, and many more.
What are the Numerous Benefits of Synthetic Camphor?
Synthetic camphor is extensively used in many industrial applications which are discussed below:
- It plays a crucial role in the manufacturing of polyvinyl chloride, cellulose nitrate, and many plastics.
- Synthetic camphor acts as a plasticizer in paints and lacquers.
- It is also used to stabilize smokeless gunpowder pyrotechnics.
Because of its antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, synthetic camphor can be used for personal applications such as treating skin conditions, relieving pain, and improving respiratory function. Some of the major uses of synthetic camphor are listed below:
- Treating Arthritis: Synthetic camphor can be effective in relieving pain, swelling, and inflammation due to arthritis. As the products of synthetic camphor deliver hot and cold sensations, therefore, after applying the cream to the affected area, may help people distract from the pain.
- Treating Skin Problems: The lotions and creams containing synthetic camphor can be used to relieve skin irritation, and itchiness, and also may be beneficial in improving overall skin appearance. Due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, synthetic camphor is highly beneficial for healing infections. Moreover, due to its ability to enhance elastin and collagen production, synthetic camphor is used as a potential ingredient in anti-aging cosmetics.
- Used as Muscle Rub: Synthetic camphor has antispasmodic and relaxant properties. This may help in relieving muscle cramps, spasms, and stiffness.
- Healing Burns: According to studies, balms and creams containing synthetic camphor can be used to heal burn wounds. In the year 2018, in an animal study, it was found that an ointment containing synthetic camphor, sesame oil, and honey had decreased the healing time for second-degree burn wounds.
- Relieving Congestion and Coughing: Synthetic camphor works as a decongestant and cough suppressant. Therefore, it can be very much effective in relieving night cough, congestion, and sleep difficulty in children with respiratory tract infections
- Treating Various Other Health Issues: Synthetic camphor is highly beneficial to treat acne, hair loss, earaches, hemorrhoids, poor blood circulation, depression, anxiety, muscle spasms, flatulence, and many others.
Does Synthetic Camphor Purify the Air?
Synthetic camphor has various beneficial properties. As it is anti-infective, it can help in killing germs and can be excellent to purify the air in the surroundings of the home. According to many studies, it is proven that burning synthetic camphor can be an effective way to eliminate germs from your household. Artificial room fresheners contain harmful chemicals known as phthalates. These can lead to the development of several health complications, especially in children and pregnant women. However, synthetic camphor can effectively help in keeping homes odor free. Moreover, it can also act as an effective natural insecticide that can be applied to get rid of ants, mosquitoes, and bed bugs.
How are the Latest Developments in Voice Communication Equipment Opening Numerous Applications Across Various Sectors?November 28, 2023
Why is Vegan Chocolate Becoming a Delectable Trend among Individuals Globally?November 28, 2023
Surgical Loupes: Empowering Healthcare Professionals with Greater Precisions and Enriching Patient LivesNovember 28, 2023
How are the Advancements in Slip Ring Assemblies Meeting the High-Voltage Needs of Satellites?November 28, 2023