Light Field Photography: Enabling to Experience the Best with Innovation and Technology
Light field is gradually becoming the new definition of image acquisition. Unlike conventional methods, light field photography offers a whole set of special properties and advantages. Nowadays, light field photography has gained the attention of research institutes as well as the consumer market. Due to its phenomenal potential of capturing 3D images during motions and refocusing on a particular object, the media and entertainment sector is vertically going to adopt light field photography on a larger scale.
In this world, everything we see is actually illuminated by light from a light source. Generally, we visualize objects due to natural light sources like the sun, moon, etc. The visualization of the objects is completely based upon our precise position in the light field. A light field helps in capturing motion pictures smoothly and by absorbing light rays from every possible direction. Unlike, traditional cameras which are used to take flat, two-dimensional photographs, light fields enable cameras to capture images in 3D spaces and 2D angle directions. Let’s move towards knowing the light field in more detail.
What is Light Field Technology?
Light field technology works on a principle known as the 5-dimensional plenoptic function. According to this function, a light ray can be defined by three coordinates in 3D space and it has two-dimensional angles to specify its direction in 3D space. In simple language, a light field allows plenoptic cameras to capture images depending on the intensity as well as the direction of the lights. Because of using multiple sensors, light field technology is able to capture 3D images proficiently.
What are the Techniques of Capturing Light Field?
A light field camera captures information about light fields to generate a high-quality image. This information includes intensity, light, color, and also the direction of light. There are numerous techniques that are used to capture light field, some of them are listed below:
- A single-camera can be used to capture information about a scene from multiple angles. Such methods are used to deliver a number of images of a particular object.
- There is also the use of multiple-camera arrays to capture images in bit different angles about a particular scene. These techniques generally use a dozen of sensors to capture particular information.
- Sometimes a number of micro-lenses are used to capture light field information, by putting them in front of a single digital camera sensor. This procedure delivers hundreds of sub-images to result in the desired image.
What are the Advantages of Light Field Photography?
The broad-angle of using light field photography is to capture a scene in motion with the implementation of light field technology. This results in high-quality image generation, which is not possible with normal photography. There are a plethora of advantages of light field photography, out of which some are listed below:
- Providing Various Depth of Field- Light field processes images with synthetic aperture, which allows a diameter of opening lenses and determines the depth of the field. It enables the creation of images with the smallest as well as the infinite depth of the field.
- Enabling change of Lighting Conditions- With the possibility of capturing much information about a scene, light field photography is having posy-processing software to reconstruct the lighting effect.
- Boosting Virtual Reality- Light field photography may soon change the concept of film making and virtual reality (VR) for better inputs. As light field creates 3D images with six degrees of freedom, it may be used to create real-life VR. By using a rotating array of cameras like 16 GoPros, it is possible to capture information of light field in 3D space.
- Helps in Causing Parallax Effect- By using a wider lens light field cameras can capture images from wider angles. Even after capturing an image, the light field allows making some changes with the emotional scenes too, like rotating heads, bending down, or grabbing. This effect is called as parallax effect, which can be used to reform a 3D image to.
The Future Outlook of Light Field Market
With developing customized marketing strategies, growing demand in clarity of images and use of lights in healthcare department, improvised video quality and projection of media and entertainment, and also the increasing usage of lights and display in the defense sector, the global light field market is going to boost in near future.The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 19.3%, by generating revenue of $860.7 million in the 2021–2028 timeframe.
Are Light Field Cameras the Ultimate Future of Photography?
Starting from reel cameras to DSLRs, the quality and functionality of cameras are changing with time. With the emergence of the first light field camera with one megapixel in 2012, the thought of introducing good cameras with smartphones is so far a great achievement. Bringing light filed cameras to the consumer market is itself a big challenge, however, the IT giants, like, Apple, Samsung, Google, and many more are looking forward to using the light fields to provide 3D user experience, such as virtual reality in the coming days.
What are Superalloy Honeycombs and Why are They in the News?January 11, 2022
What is a Pet Insurance and What does it Cover?January 06, 2022
Exploring Digital Therapeutics: A Solution for the Geriatric PopulationJanuary 06, 2022
How are Geogrids Holding the Earth Together?January 05, 2022