How to Choose the Perfect Electric Wheel Chair for You?
An electric wheel chair gives the gift of mobility to people who are bound to their homes owing to certain disease, stroke or disability. Numerous advantages have been attributed to the usage of electric wheel chairs. However, choosing the right wheel chair that would best suits your requirements is extremely vital.
The advent of various technologies has given wings to many impossible things. From the invention of a pacemaker to fully autonomous cars, technology has shown its wonders in different arenas. One such technological innovation is an electric wheel chair. An electric wheel chair gives the gift of mobility to people who are bound to their homes owing to certain disease, stroke or disability—and the correct wheel chair paves way for the freedom and normal living of such people.
What is an Electric Wheel Chair?
An electric wheel chair is a battery-operated chair-like device with wheels which can be used to provide locomotion to people constrained to a sitting position. This device can be a useful alternative or requirement for anybody incapable of operating a wheel chair manually. As per a report by Research Dive, the global electric wheel chair market is expected to garner $4,817.6 million by 2028, owing to increasing cases of physical disabilities and growing cases of accidental injuries across the world.
If you are someone who needs an electric wheel chair for yourself, family or friends, here are a few points to consider while looking for the ideal electric wheel chair.
Let us first understand the different types of electric wheel chairs.
- Portable electric wheel chair: It is basic, light weight, and can be disassembled in case of storage or during travel.
- Front-wheel powered wheel chair: Its big front wheels are motorised. The wheel chair also offers good grip, thus allowing adequate space for the user’s feet.
- Mid-wheel powered wheel chair: It consists of 3 sets of wheels—one big wheel in the centre and 2 small ones in the front & rear. This type of wheel chair is usually known for its easy movement in small areas.
- Rear-wheel powered wheel chair: It has small, powered wheels at the back which gives the chair an additional drive from the back. This thrust from behind benefits the user while moving across a curb or uneven land.
- Heavy-duty powered wheel chair: It is designed for individuals who weigh up to 400 to 600 pounds.
Once you have identified the type of wheel chair that would best suit your requirements, it’s time to take into consideration the comfort aspects of the wheel chair. Here are a few factors to ponder:
- Cushions. While choosing an ideal sitting it is essential to consider the back supports, cushions, and headrests. In some chairs, there is an option to customize these factors to fulfil the requirements of different cushions, sizes, postures, and physical drawbacks.
- Tilt and Recline Features: These features help avoid pressure sores, and are particularly significant for aged people whose skin might be thin and bruise easily.
- Power Leg Rests: The elevating leg rest feature can aid in reducing leg swelling.
What is the Weight Capacity of an Electric Wheel chair?
On an average, electric wheel chairs can bear up to 350 pounds and move across most of the surfaces that a user may wish to go across.
How many Batteries are used in an Electric Wheel chair?
Most electric wheel chairs have 2 batteries and cost around $250 to $300 each. Also, they can traverse nearly 10 miles on a full charge, so some people opt to charge their powered chair every night or every other night. Its average battery lifespan is around 3 to 5 years. A battery’s lifespan is based on numerous factors such as how often it is charged and for how long the wheel chair is used.
The Bottom Line
Numerous advantages have been attributed to the usage of electric wheel chairs. Reckonable researchers have found the use of electric wheel chair to be linked with enhanced mobility, rising social participation, improved quality of life, and reduced pain and discomfort. Specially, electric wheel chair users have stated that power wheel chairs help in performing a variety of activities such as medical appointments, shopping, visiting family and friends, attending community events, and many others. In a nutshell, the invention of this technological breakthrough has indeed been a boon for the troubled people and eradicated the barrier of their physical disabilities or illnesses.
A Brief Guide on the Different Types of Window Coatings Available in the Market TodayMay 29, 2023
A Quick Look at the Top 4 Cruise Tourism Destinations in the World for 2023May 29, 2023
How is the Digital Educational Publishing Market Progressing and Innovating Learning Experiences?May 29, 2023
A New Era in Dental Prosthetics: Longevity and Precision with 3D-Printed Denture TeethMay 29, 2023