What are the Key Applications of Military Embedded Systems?
Military embedded systems comprise embedded electronics for various military applications through technical coverage of different parts of the design process. These embedded systems include hardware, software, technology insertion, obsolescence management, and various other military-specific technical subjects. These systems are more reliable, secure, robust, and structured compared to general-purpose embedded systems.
An embedded system is a computer system integrated into a larger device or system and designed to perform a specific task. In the context of the military, embedded systems are used in a wide range of applications including communication systems, navigation systems, weapon systems, and many others. Military commanders require appropriate information to make the best decisions. Military intelligence consists of various devices that help in gathering beneficial information and inspecting that information to make suitable decisions. Military embedded systems are mainly used to control and secure all these devices and make an analysis of huge volumes of data gathered from multiple channels. In short, the embedded systems allow all these devices to work smartly, enable controlling systems remotely, and help secure the devices from several venomous software attacks.
With the increasing government expenditure in the military sector, the global military embedded systems market is expected to witness exponential growth in the approaching years. The market is predicted to generate a revenue of $3,259.3 million and rise at a CAGR of 7.9% during the forecast period from 2022 to 2031. The major players of the market include Mercury Systems, Inc., Advantech Co., Ltd., Intel Corporation, BAE Systems, and many more.
What are the Various Uses of Military Embedded Systems?
Military embedded systems are used on many platforms such as land, air, water, and space systems. Mostly, the land platform has a maximum number of military embedded system applications. The major uses of military embedded systems in military applications are listed below:
- Command and Control Systems: Military embedded systems have an important role in the command-and-control systems. These systems provide the means to make decisions and monitor and control military operations. It is a critical infrastructure of military operations that allows the gathering and dissemination of information, execution of commands, and communication with other systems.
- Military Intelligence: Military intelligence bureaus have access to the radio, television, and various other broadcasting systems of their potential enemies. These devices can use military embedded systems to help the intelligence bureau members to spy on them. Moreover, the military embedded systems are also used in radar systems, surveillance satellites, and military traffic systems. In addition, they also enable remote control operations, protect systems from unsanctioned access, and enhance system reliability.
- Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS): It is a software-defined radio system that is mostly used by the military sector of developed nations. JTRS radios are embedded in a wide range of military equipment including vehicles, aircraft, and handheld devices. The JTRS system is designed to be highly flexible, allowing different types of radios to communicate with each other and with other military systems.
- Navigation: Military embedded systems are primarily used for navigation or in the Global Positioning System (GPS), which is used by military personnel and equipment to determine their precise location and track their movements. The GPS itself is composed of a network of satellites and ground-based control stations that work together to provide accurate position and timing information.
- Weapons Systems: Military embedded system plays a key role in the development and operation of military weapons systems. For instance, the guidance and control systems for missiles and drones are typically implemented as embedded systems. These systems gather data about the missiles or drones’ position and flight dynamics and then use this data to control the missile’s or drone’s movement.
Military Embedded System: Why is It Important?
The embedded systems used in military applications can operate in a wide range of conditions, from the extreme cold of the Arctic to the heat of the desert. They can able to withstand the shocks, vibrations, and other stresses that are encountered in the field. Moreover, the military embedded systems go beyond just hardware, they include software and firmware. They also ensure that the software and firmware are secure and free of vulnerabilities that can be exploited by an attacker. This becomes increasingly important in cyber warfare as the systems can function in a contested environment. In addition, the continuous development and advancement of embedded systems technology can help military systems to meet the challenges of the modern battlefield.
How are the Latest Developments in Voice Communication Equipment Opening Numerous Applications Across Various Sectors?November 28, 2023
Why is Vegan Chocolate Becoming a Delectable Trend among Individuals Globally?November 28, 2023
Surgical Loupes: Empowering Healthcare Professionals with Greater Precisions and Enriching Patient LivesNovember 28, 2023
How are the Advancements in Slip Ring Assemblies Meeting the High-Voltage Needs of Satellites?November 28, 2023