6 Definitive Advantages of Installing Avalanche Radars
The growing number of natural disasters, especially avalanches, due to global warming and climate change, has made the life of people living in the mountains and polar regions extremely harsh. Avalanche detection systems with their high-tech avalanche radars have provided a solution to this problem. With state-of-the-art technology, avalanche radars are helping the local populace to predict the avalanches accurately, and thus helping them mitigate the crisis in a much better way.
Climate change and global warming has triggered numerous environmental phenomena which previously didn’t occur so frequently. Flash floods, cloudbursts, devastating famines and droughts, melting of glaciers, frequent avalanches etc. are becoming regular events across the world. For the people living in the mountainous regions or in the polar areas, melting of glaciers and frequent avalanches pose a serious threat to their life, resources, and property. Though both are different phenomena, many times, melting of glaciers trigger an avalanche. Melting of glaciers is a slow process which cannot be tracked necessarily; however, when the glacier reaches a tipping point, the whole glacial system crashes, triggering a huge avalanche. This is especially true in mountainous regions, where the slope gradient is high. In such cases, an avalanche detection system is necessary, which employs avalanche radars to detect these avalanches.
Avalanche radars are effective devices which can help to automatically detect the onset of an avalanche and warn the inhabitants of the surrounding area. Avalanche radars work in almost any weather conditions and during any time of the day. The contours of the area, where the avalanche detection system needs to be deployed, will decide how many avalanche radars are needed to be installed to cover the whole area properly. Sometimes, since the area is narrow and the glacial system is not so developed, a single radar can cover and manage the area. However, most of the times, the area is so wide and the mountain ridges are so huge that a series of avalanche radars need to be installed to cover the area comprehensively.
What are the Main Advantages of Avalanche Radars?
Avalanche radars are in huge demand lately; mainly due to the rise in cases of huge boulders or ice sheets getting separated from their glacial structures and creating huge avalanches. But at the same time, the advantages of installing avalanche radars are also significant. These two factors of increasing number of avalanches and the benefits provided by avalanche detection systems, have worked in the favor of the global avalanche radar market. According to Research Dive, the global avalanche radar market is expected to grow at a stunning CAGR of 47.2% in 2021-2028 timeframe. The multiple advantages of an avalanche radar which has surged its demand are given below:
- Most avalanche radars in the market today, cover an extensive area of around 10-15 sq. kms. with a range of around 3-7 kms. This helps in detecting the onset of avalanches at an early stage, thus giving enough time for the inhabitants to mitigate and minimize the impact of the avalanche.
- New avalanche detection systems have an automatic alert system which raises an alarm without needing manual supervision or intervention. This makes the detection system more accurate, precise, and hassle-free.
- Also, new technology is being incorporated while manufacturing avalanche radars, which uses GPS to map the whole area where it is deployed, and give out the possible path an avalanche would take, if indeed it is triggered. This is an extremely critical addition to the present avalanche detection system, as it will not only help in minimizing damage to the already set up structures, but it will help in planning and developing the nearby areas accordingly.
- Avalanche radars, that are manufactured these days, are extremely resilient to tough weather conditions, and hence work throughout the year in all climatic conditions. Moreover, the technology in today’s avalanche detection systems has been developed in such a way that the system works seamlessly even during the night without any interruption.
- Avalanche detection systems, with their radars, have been developed with a feedback mechanism, so that the radars can undertake course correction, if any errors existed in their working. Also, all such predicted avalanche paths, and the changes introduced in them due to the feedbacks are stored in database for future use. This makes forecasting of the next avalanches and their timings and pathways even more accurate.
- Avalanche radars are extremely cost effective as compared to other early detection systems and are very easy to install and maintain. Hence, the cost-benefit ratio in case of these radars is extremely high.
Thus, the avalanche detection systems available in the market have eased the life of people living in the high mountains or near the poles. Also, these systems have made it easy for scientists, tourists, and explorers, who visit such high-altitude places, to plan their journey accordingly.
Everything You Need to know About AAC Blocks and PanelsSeptember 28, 2022
What are Healthcare Gamification Applications and What Benefits Do They Provide?September 22, 2022
Portable Oxygen Kit: A Medical Device that Has an Ability to Offer Continued Respiratory SupportSeptember 22, 2022
What Diseases can be Associated with a Positive Antinuclear Antibody Test?September 16, 2022